With summer just two short weeks away, I have been constantly reflecting on this past year that has flown by, and the many things that came along with college that I wasn’t expecting/ had never thought about until I got here. I’ve decided to make multiple lists for the incoming freshman, lists that cover the different categories of college life.
List #1- things to bring that no one told you about. (I learned the hard way)
1. an umbrella… just because its in San Diego does not mean that it wont rain…
2. a beach towel.. yes you bring towels for the shower, but they probably cant double as both beach and shower towels.. although I tried, the sand that got in my eyes when I dried off after the shower was not always worth it…
3. extra pencils.. yes, you obviously buy pencils when the year starts, but after a few class periods of generosity, loaning out my pencils, I quickly discovered that I needed more.. in October.
4. a can opener.. as a broke college student, cheap canned food was awesome to buy, until I went to eat it and realized that I had no way of getting the cans open..
5. Costumes/ nicer dressy clothes.. Halloween is still a thing in college and thus you should bring a costume of some sort. The same goes for nicer events too. When the dress code is a little more than casual, it would be nice to have something to wear.
List #2- You cant take it with you so appreciate it now
1. Your dog (or any pet that’s not a gold fish). My dog (pictured above) is my best friend and is practically my shadow when I am home. I had no idea how hard it would be to not be near him every day!!!
2. Your car!!- Volunteer to drive everywhere you can now because once you are at Loma, freshman do NOT get cars on campus, so enjoy it now!
3. Family and Friends- obviously enjoy them every second you get.
4. Home-cooked meals- The cafeteria is fun and all, but there’s nothing like a great home-cooked meal!
5. Your mattress- Spring loaded twin beds are better than no beds, but they aren’t your luxurious tempurpedic bed from home. Soak it up now!
I have many more lists that I will continue to post in the upcoming weeks, so be on the lookout!